Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday, February 14th - "Point and Shoot"


Those overdrawn nights outside the bar, short tempers
and shorter lines of credit, gouging out self-portraits,

sketching treasure maps upon the asphalt –
all enough scenery to set the stage. So picture this:

you're standing atop a hilltop singing lullabies
to put the moon to sleep, lubricated with whiskey

and rubbed with palm oil, a lonely couple in the background
intertwining hands beneath a canopy of stars. I said

I'd make a movie of your life
unfolding beneath this sandpaper sky, screen it

in back room galleries on the Lower East Side,
ask for donations to document the entire course

of a life searching for its reasons. You cracked
a half-smile, tugged on my shirt sleeve, and said

point and shoot, darling, point
and shoot. Just don't think

you can capture me on camera
without first ripping me to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment