Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Saturday, February 26th - "Chalkboard Mirror"


 I've seen your reflection
in all the mirrors of the city,
in dirty puddles on asphalt
and the backs of newly shined cars,

and above the tallest building,
peeking out faintly
through the salt shaker clouds.
Your half-honest smile

glimmers on the ground,
the only thing visible
through the thick fog
that has descended on the landscape,

rolling down from the mountains
on its irrepressible journey
to the sea. Though you don't
say my name, I know

you are looking for me
here, there, everywhere
beneath the sun. Now, hiding
your eyes beneath your fingers,

I want to pinch
your cheeks, whisper
into your ear, tell you
that I understand what it means

to hide behind trees
all your life, to run
into the arms of a stranger,
to dance beneath stoplights

just to feel the warmth
of the red lights on your bald head.
You tell me you don't
want pity, don't want me

to look at you any
differently, from the way
I would, if you were just
some businessman

in a torn suit, walking
down the street
with his hands
in his pockets. I say

I've been looking
at you, differently,
all these years, all the time,
anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just because I'm listening to their music right now, but these sound like the lyrics to some future Low Anthem song.
    http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/the-low-anthem-concert/20032258-3738057.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should take that as a compliment...?

    ReplyDelete