Monday, March 28, 2011

Thursday, March 17th - "Why You Lost Your Faith"

I don't expect you to forgive me
for laughing almost

uncontrollably
that time, a few nights ago,

when you confessed
that you yourself, like

the men we saw
on television, had once

been touched
inappropriately

by your youth group leader.
It wasn't that I was trying

to make light of it,
but it seemed so

convenient, to explain
why you struggled with faith

in the unseen, why
you thought the powers

in front of our eyes
were so much greater

than anything
we could imagine

with our minds. Once,
just after we were finished

reading each other's
love notes,

I rose up aggressively
behind your back. I promise

I wasn't intending
to scare you. I simply

couldn't imagine
that you were afraid

of things rising
and never again

falling back down,
like the cross shape

on your chest,
which I always thought

was a reminder
to keep breathing,

over and over
like a sea breeze,

no matter how hard
the silhouettes around you

pressed down on your stomach
and wouldn't release.

1 comment: