Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wednesday, March 9th - "Yahrzeit Candles for My Mother"


My brother says it's silly, lighting candles for the dead.
After all, it's not like they'll know, and besides,
from the point of view of heaven, every candle
must look the same, anyhow. He can't believe in a god
that cares if children remember the anniversary
of their mother's death, if they walk across coals
to prove their pedigree. Still, he eventually says
he'll do it, perhaps just to get my mother
to get onto a less morbid subject matter, while we sit
and sip sangria, and wonder if Dad
will show up before the moon. I wonder
if at the bottom of a grave, every candle
is a little pathway, something to grasp,
a tiny little wire stretched cleanly
across the earth's magnetic poles. Breaking
a crust of bread from the basket,
my mother gums it slowly, slides
the little pat of butter onto it, careful
not to burn her sleeve in the candle
perched cleanly in the middle of the table,
each radian reaching nervously for our faces
as if it's the last step forward it can take
before being snuffed out across the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hit enter too early on my previous comment: I really liked this one, it really captured the feel/the mood and brought the reader into it. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete